Shock and Awe: the Best Marketing for Lawyers
After potential clients have found the attorney’s legal website, reviewed the relevant content, and felt compelled to reach out and contact the lawyer, what comes next? For most attorneys, the next step is to send a generic letter. Unfortunately, this is not an effective means of attorney marketing. To set the law firm apart, the lawyer should instead send the potential client a “shock and awe” package that truly inspires the individual to hire the law firm.
What is a Shock and Awe Package?
This legal marketing tool is a package that contains valuable resources highly relevant to the legal issues faced by the potential client. By educating the potential client, the attorney earns his or her trust and respect. This will often lead to a successful attorney-client relationship.
What Items Should be Contained in the Shock and Awe Package?
Examples of items that are good to include in the shock and awe package include the following:
- A copy of the law firm’s book related to the potential client’s specific legal issue
- A copy of the law firm’s book that guides clients on how to choose an attorney
- An audio CD where the attorney speaks to the prospective client, providing information in a more personal format
- Copies of any television or radio show broadcasts that featured the law firm
- A listing of testimonials from former clients
- Copies of articles written by or about the law firm
- Copies of the law firm’s newsletter
- Copies of press releases prepared by the law firm
- If the law firm handles personal injury matters, an “accident kit” that can be left in the potential client’s vehicle
Starting over can be scary, but it can also be exciting, revitalizing, and motivating. That’s why many people daydream about what they would do if they could “start over.”
In fact, that’s one of the (few) things I enjoyed about golf! You start from zero at each hole and have a fresh opportunity to excel.
This was my mindset when I wrote the report, 10-Step Program for Marketing Success. I set out to answer the question, “what are the steps I would take if I were rebuilding my practice from the ground up.
Inside this report, you will discover everything I’ve learned since opening the doors to my law firm and all the big-picture tactics I teach the attorney members at Great Legal Marketing.
Most attorneys start their firms assuming that being a really, really good attorney should, in and of itself, be a marketing advantage. Those attorneys believe that joining a whole bunch of committees and putting their name in lawyer directories is “marketing,” and they never bother to ask if there is a better way.
Attorneys are catching on, however, and those who succeed learn to leverage their current resources to create effective (and ethical) marketing. What they discover isn’t a magic pill or silver bullet but a different approach to marketing that your competitors haven’t considered.
by Ben Glass
Ben is a nationally recognized expert in attorney marketing and the owner of Great Legal Marketing.